To see individuals live their full potential in intimate relationships and families in a society that is free from gender based violence.
To advance a coordinated, multi sectoral, culturally competent restorative justice response to violence against women and children by:
- Being a resource to religious leaders, institutions and faith communities as they hold offenders accountable and ensure the safety and empowerment of victims/survivors by offering opportunity for truth telling and healing of individuals and families.
- To challenge, from a theological perspective, patriarchal traditions and other root causes of intimate partner abuse and violence that destroys the dignity of women, children and men, and
- To encourage the promotion of scriptural and the theological teachings that encourage intimate relationships that set people free to live their full potential in supportive unions
- Faith and family
- Respect and human dignity
- Compassion and Ubuntu
- Collaboration and partnership
- Conversation and dialogue
- Listening and learning
“I use to believe that women have no say and that everything must come from the man. SAFFI’s training has changed my perception. I preach now about domestic violence and there are many people who come to ask for help” Pastor
“We did not talk much in my congregation about domestic violence. But after the training I began to have conversations during the church hours about domestic violence. SAFFI has opened my mind.” Religious Leader
The World we Work in
of South African Women are in Abusive Relationships.
of the South African population affiliate with a religion.
In this context it makes sense that in South Africa abused women often turn to their religious leaders for counselling and assistance. SAFFI’s research shows that very few religious leaders have received training and support to respond effectively to survivors/victims, perpetrators and afflicted families in these cases.
Join our Cause! Take A Stand Against Gender-Based Violence in Intimate Relationships and Families
Join our Cause…
Elizabeth Petersen, the Director of SAFFI, and Religious Leaders share their views on the abuse of women and children.
1 Harrington Street,
Zonnebloem, Cape Town
+27 21 462 2277
+27 21 462 2276